Monday, September 27, 2010

I need to take a survey of sorts . . . I’m hoping my die-hard blog readers will humor me. I’m moving. Yes I know, deep breaths everyone. Rumor had it that I was moving in December, which I suppose is still a possibility. However, more than likely, I will be moving in the spring. It will give me a little more time to save up some money, and let’s be honest, who likes moving in winter?
Not I.
Here is the problem (and where YOU come in):
I don’t know where to go!
The logical thing would be to go where I can find a good job. But I’m kind of going about this a little backwards and I feel pretty good about it.
I want to at least decide what STATE I want to reside, then go from there to find a job, place to live, etc. Because no matter what, even if I find a rockin’ job, I’m not going to want to move to . . . . let’s say . . . . Wisconsin. I just don’t have it in me.
Two things that are HUGE deciding factors where I live: Family, Weather.
I know you’re probably thinking, “Weather? Really?” But I really need some sunshine and some serious vitamin D to function at an optimal level. That and I’m not a huge fan of humidity (sorry, Missouri) and snow (sorry, Utah).
The states where my family lives: Florida, Missouri, Indiana, Texas.
I’ve already ruled out Missouri (which normally would have been my top pick) simply because it doesn’t FEEL right. Call me crazy. That, and I don’t think there is too much there for me (i.e. work, lds community, and/or people I know)
Indiana is right there in the same boat with Missouri.
Florida could be fun, but could I really be a Floridian?? I don’t know . . . I’ll let you guys decide. Maybe I’ll learn how to surf.
Then to Texas, which I am seriously leaning towards . . . something about southern hospitality and the fact that my lovely sister (and 3 adorable nieces and nephews) lives there is drawing me in.
Then of course, there are 46 other states to consider. I love my family, and I would love to live near them, but ultimately I want to live where I am SUPPOSED to be. Which I have not had the pleasure of experiencing in about 3 years.
So I ask you, yes, YOU, WHAT DO I DO?!
Before moving to Utah, I literally drew it out of a hat as a last resort of not knowing where to go, where I was supposed to be, and being completely indecisive and exhausting all of my decision making strategies.
I don’t, I repeat, I DON’T want to do that again. I want to move in confidence that that is exactly where I should be going, and then, no matter what, even if I hate it at least I’ll have the confirmation that I should be there. And let me tell you, that would be a welcome feeling.
So do me a favor, suggest a state for me, or pick one I have already suggested and just tell me what to do :)

3 comments:

Family von Graf said...

ok, Florida... fun state, however, humid and hurricaney. Texas, same. Just ask my mom, she hated where she lived there cause of the humidity.
Of course, the one state you hadn't mentioned was Nevada. You do have family here. =) Also, if you live somewhere with an international airport, you'd be able to visit family whenever you wanted/needed.
We visited Denver and it was beautiful. I want to move there, but with current events, it will be a few years before we get there.

Martin Family said...

TEXAS!! TEXAS!! TEXAS!! Besides the fact that your wonderful sister resides here, the economy is great and the weather is good. It does get hot, but I know you can take the heat. We have humid days, but it is overall pretty dry as long as you stay up north (Don't move to Houston!!)

nathan schmoe said...

california!! okay, that wasn't on your list. but that's where we're hoping to end up, so you'll have family, great weather, job opportunities & surfer boys!!