Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Letter to my Sweet Mama

You know you're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, don't you? And it's not just because you have gorgeous almond eyes, and high cheek bones that could rival any Native. It's not because you never leave the house without mascara, or because you always have your platinum blonde hair put in place.
It's because of your willingness to serve, and to see the beauty in the world around you. . I've seen you sink your hands into the earth and help a little seedling on it's first legs of life. I've seen you sweat and work and you are rewarded with beauty. With something that can sustain life. It is the same with the lives that you have guided throughout your years. I've never known anyone to nurture any living thing as much as you. You have 7 children, and 13 grandchildren, and if that isn't enough, you've taken many missionaries of Croatia under your wing, those that you live and serve by within your ward, those that work in the bishop's storehouse, your neighbors, your friends. It truly astounds me the amount of service and love that can exude from one person. You've helped all those people at some point in their life. Held their hand as they cleared the hurdles that they never imagined they could.
Sometimes I feel like I'm doing good just to keep moving. Going through day to day and withstanding whatever is thrown in my path. But you . . . . . you are able to overcome any obstacle, but not only overcome, THRIVE. And you do it graciously, with the delicacies of femininity that stand out from those around you. You use your talents and abilities to every one's benefit. I have so many friends that still, to this day, talk about how wonderful my parents are. How they wish they could have been blessed by such great people. And the only thing I can say is, "I know." Because I do. I know that my parents are amazing. I know that because I can look in their eyes and see love, and knowledge. I can feel of their sweet testimonies as they speak of the Lord. I have learned through their example what being Christlike is truly about. I have seen you both kneel in prayer more times than I can count. I know that you have a strong relationship with your Father in Heaven and it makes you more beautiful. Because I can see you as a daughter of God, created just how he would have you. I can see the love of Christ radiating from you. I thank Him every night for loving me enough to send me to you. To send my tiny Spirit to loving people that he trusted to mold me into something He could be proud of.
We've butted heads throughout my youth, more often than not. And looking back I know it is because we are so alike. We have the same goofy personality, the same appreciation for cleanliness and organization. We both have a knack for creating, and a love for reading. And the older I get, the more I am blessed to look just like you.
I've seen you play dress up, and read books, and plan crafts, and dance with your grandchildren. It makes me so excited to have kids of my own someday, because I know that they will have the best grandma in the whole world.
You've taught me well, Mama. I know right from wrong. I try to love and nurture and serve just like you. I try to uplift others, and even when I'm in a place of uncertainty, I try to imagine what my Mama would do. Because I know that it will lead me in the right direction. It has my whole life. I love you, my sweet mother. I hope that someday I can be as an exemplary woman as you.
Always,
BG

1 comment:

LishKishBish said...

I loved this. It was gorgeous!