Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My work-bestie and I had a discussion about leagues the other day. Don't let that confuse you . . . we have no interest in baseball whatsoever. . . . ok, maybe the tight white pants. But other than that, NADA.
I'm talking dating leagues here, folks.

I think a lot of single people have become slightly narcissistic enough to think we can date pretty much anyone we want. I, my friends, am not one of those people. But I am slightly torn in my beliefs of such a weird caste system. Viewing the world in terms of leagues is not always a good way to go.

People who think this way are concerned with what other people think of them, and how others perform relative to them instead of being concerned with their own personal goals and outcomes. They often become the best of the worst, letting other people's standards and beliefs control what they get out of life. This is not only true in dating, but in all sorts of aspects of life.
A lot of girls instinctively do this when it comes to dating, instead of what they should be doing, attracting men. They say, "He's out of my league," diminishing their own self image, instead of saying, "I know how to create attraction, perhaps I'll allow him to experience with me what he cannot with other women."

HOWEVER, I think it's unhealthy to have crushes and lust after people that are not, and will never be, interested in you. Kind of a blow to the self esteem. As is thinking you can't or won't be able to hold the attention of someone you find extremely attractive.

See my dilemma?

Anyway, I think my conclusion is just to be confident and willing to try. Meaning, I will be confident in my looks and personality and I am willing to try a date with just about anyone. Superbly hot or superbly not.

That being said . . . I went on a date with a SUPERBLY hot man last night. Turns out I was in his league.

Yay me.

No comments: